Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Food Storage ~ Yipee!

Matthew has been working hard to make sure we have our food storage set up this year and part of that included him putting shelves in our closet under the stairs as well as shelves in our den/nursery upstairs so we would have room for all the food.

I think my hubby's rather handsome :-) and capable of doing all sorts of manly things like putting up shelves, changing electrical outlets (I'm terrified of electicity) to put in dimmer switches, etc. That was and still is one of the things that first attracted me to Matthew,knowing that he was capable of so many things and handy at a wide variety of talents and skills. We haven't yet run into something he can't do.


He's never afraid to tackle a task and can "eyeball" measurements like a true pro. Don't even get me started with our adventures in picture hanging. He happily throws nails in the wall without hardly a measurement and it always turns out beautifully. When the picture is finally on the wall I'm always telling him that the right side needs to come up just a touch and then we get the leveler out and I'm wrong every time. I think my eyes must be crooked in my head because that darn right side ALWAYS is lopsided to me until proven otherwise.

Here are the shelves up in the den/nursery with the beginnings of our food storage. We saved a small corner on the right for Evelynn's clothes :-) Poor thing! But she'll never know and she'll have her own closet when she gets older. The nice thing about these shelves is that they are easily adjustable and removable so we can take them with us and there will be only a couple screw holes to patch at the top and bottom when we move.

As you can see.....a few trips to Costo.....and WahLa! Some of this was also from food storage Matthew had started when he was in Hawaii. (I found some cans of asparagus that will probably NEVER see the light of day! Yuck....Seriously! I didn't even know that existed and was happily ignorant of that fact 'til now! LOL Needless to say, the three cans of asparagus were dutifully documented but will not be replaced should they ever chance to be opened!) We also have quite a number of 5 gallon buckets out in the garage and several boxes of #10 cans with a variety of noodles, grains, powdered milk, salt, dried vegies and fruit and freeze-dried meat etc. out in the garage. I went through and counted it and documented everything on a spreadsheet so we can keep better track of what we have and what we still need to get. Like Matt says, it feels good to have a solid food storage off and running especially with the economy being a bit crazy at the moment.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, looks great. We have the same adjustable shelves in our house in many of our closets and just love them. Thanks for sharing. Wish we had Cosco out here.

    ReplyDelete